Yes, I know, it is embarrassing how long it’s been since I’ve updated this site! It was a summer filled with losing the longarm from a power company issue, an injured kid, a blown up hot water heater, and an air conditioner that just died – I’ve had better summers! I’ll try to get some pics up of my machine, and it’s travels!
Today’s post is going to be about a very special quilt. The quilt was dropped off, almost completed except for two borders, to a church. The box was marked “Genny’s Quilt.” The ladies at that church saw how beautiful the quilt was, and decided to have it finished, and auctioned, to benefit the charity funds for the church. The blocks were all hand pieced, and the sashing and borders are all machine pieced. We also know the quilt is pretty old, because the thread and the fabrics in the seams had started to come apart.
This presents a unique challenge to the quilter! LOL! I did receive permission to post the pictures of the problems, and their solutions, and understand, this is a post on how to solve technical issues in quilting, not to bash them. This quilt did have several problems, but it is just so beautiful, and the amount of work that went into it, my intention is to show that these older quilts are absolutely worth saving and finishing, and maybe I can show others how I accomplished the task!
A common problem in quilts is extra fullness in the borders. What made this one challenging is that there were 3 borders sewn together! After one frantic plea, Deborahhhhhhhhhhh, (okay, maybe 2 or 3) how do I fix THREE at the same time without making it look bad? She very patiently explained how to do it, and voila, it worked! Below are pictures of before, during, and after. The extra fullness was tucked in, on all 3 borders, and not easily seen on the finished quilt! YAY!!!
Fullness in Borders
Fullness in Borders - Right side
Correction - Before Quilting - Thanks Deborah!
Finished Border - No Correction Seen!
Once the borders were corrected, it was on to the quilting! Then, I discovered some wearing in some of the fabrics, causing them to seperate. I did not want to quilt over them, creating more stress on older fabrics, so I wanted to find some way to secure them before quilting. Another friend, Rose, received a frantic phone call of one crazy, desperate longarm quilter, seeking the elusive Bo Nash polymer fuse, that we all SHOULD have, but don’t! LOL! Luckily, she had some, and I set to fixing them before quilting!
Fabric Wear - Separation
Now we are down to the fun part! The borders are fixed, the holes are fixed, and I also changed up the quilting design in the pieced blocks to enable me to “hit” all the points in the piecing several times, to re-inforce all the separation in the piecing. There will be a follow up post 2 to this one to show the finished pictures.